asterix

*Am working on figuring out the best way to render Devanagari. For now, transliteration...sorry. Namaste.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Like a Ship upon the Waters

Without going into too much detail, I have a contraption installed in my apartment that allows me to hang upside down on a bar, from the waist. If you have done Iyengar Yoga, you will know what I mean. If not, just bear with me.

The other day, there I was, hanging upside down like a bat in a belfry, and my young daughter comes into the room, and as kids do, bent over, put her head down on the yoga mat and looked at me through her legs and we had a "yoga-bonding" moment. As also the case with Iyengar Yoga, we use "props" such as wooden blocks, cloth belts, etc. to help get into the asanas, or postures more correctly.

On my wooden block, I have a verse from the Bhagavad Gita written in felt marker in Devanagari, the "Indian" script, so to be course about it.

My daughter asked me, "Papa, what do all these funny squiggles mean?"

I told her it was Sanskrit,  read it and then translated it for her.

Transliterated, it is:

indriyãnãm hi caratãm
yan mano 'nuvidhiyate

tadasya harati prajñãm
vãyur nãvam ivãmbhasi (2/67)

meaning:

When the mind is lead by the wandering senses,
Then one's understanding is borne away, as a ship blown about upon the waters.

"Ahhh," she said, "Sanskrit, I see, that sounds funny," as she giggled and rolled around on the yoga mat, during a rather good version of an adhomukhashvasana.

No comments:

Post a Comment